Cantonment Reno, at the Powder River Crossing of the Bozeman Trail in present Johnson County, was renamed Fort McKinney after the death of Lt. J.A. McKinney in 1876. That site was abandoned in 1878, and the fort’s name moved with the troops to a new site west of present Buffalo, Wyo. The fort closed in 1894, and in 1903 the site was taken over by the Veterans’ Home of Wyoming, which remains in operation there today.
Browse Articles about Military
|Stagecoach and Mail Road, Rawlins to Fort Washakie||WyoHistory.org, J. Tom Davis|
|Tarquinio, Enzo||Laura E. Ruberto|
|Teapot Dome, U.S. Marines and||Carolynne Harris|
|Torrey, Col. Jay L.||Phil Roberts|
|Torrey’s Rough Riders||Phil Roberts|
|Trabing, August and Charles, freighters in Wyoming Territory||Nancy Trabing Mickelson|
|Transcontinental motor convoy, 1919||Lori Van Pelt|
|Twiss, Thomas, Indian agent||James H. Nottage|
|U.S. Marines invade Teapot Dome||Carolynne Harris|
|Utah War, 1857-1858||Rebecca Hein|
In 1869, Fort Fred Steele was built by the U.S. Army to protect workers on the advancing transcontinental railroad at the spot where the rails crossed the North Platte River. The fort was closed in 1886, and the site, containing foundations of the original buildings, was much later acquired by the state.
The Connor Battlefield is a park on Tongue River in Ranchester, Wyo., marking the spot where Brig. Gen. Patrick Connor and about 475 U.S. troops and Pawnee scouts in August 1865 attacked a village of 500 Arapaho under the leadership of Black Bear and Old David. The Arapaho suffered 33 killed, and the troops burned their lodges and drove off most of the horse herd. Today the park offers picnic grounds, a campground and a monument to the event.